I’ve been meaning to create a series of tutorials for some time, I’m still getting the used to it. It’s a good way to gain exposure, provide proof of my abilities and offer something of value to others wishing to learn.
The original renders in Solidworks I wasn’t happy with and in all honesty, didn’t do my design justice. This time with pro-light studio in Blender, rendered with Cycles I spent considerable time cleaning up the imported CAD files and adding piece to complement the presentation, adding to the user experience I’ve finally got a piece I’m proud of. In the future I’d expect it to look not so good as I learn and technology advances.
In the process of designing a wristwatch based on a custom bike modification of the famous Triumph TR6R, the bike rode by Steve McQueen in The Great Escape. Below is a collage of images of the bike used for benchmarking and the two latest renders. The modeling is almost complete and about to go ahead unwrap some of the meshes, begin texturing and applying shaders.
New website is online at www.kelly3d.com and I’m at a stage to begin applying for job openings. The header and about me page has been redesigned, as well as a new design page showing my work during the fourth year product design course.
That’s the two other views touched up in Photoshop and ready for show in Behance at iDrink
After touching up the renders of the Waldmann complementary pen for the Audi A8 and included a link to my blog and personal logo in the bottom right corner. Just about ready to begin a behance page. It’s getting exciting now and as always, feedback is welcome. Lots happening in the coming months leading up to June.
In preparation for launching a behance website, I felt more work was needed besides the case bridging study and the end of year project. A few years back, in Letterkenny IT I designed a portable personal draught beer dispenser. Having looked back at the old work, I spent some hours trying to touch up the old renders before giving up and decided to rerender from scratch. After spending some time reworking the iDrink logo and adjusting the tap lever dimensions, it was rendered out in photoview 360 and then touched up in Photoshop. The two other rendered views are still being working on and will be posted at a later stage.
Below is the old render going back to 2008. I always felt the rendering package that came with Solidworks back then didn’t do the work justice. The above render is far more vibrant, visually interesting and realistic. In the coming weeks and months, I intend to show some exploded views showing how the design works, in order to prove it’s not a superficial design.
After building a model in 3dsmax, the shape still wasn’t quite there. It was also awkward and time consuming moving around vertices in max, so instead the decision was made to export the file as an obj. and work on the shape in zbrush. Once complete, the model was exported to max and a new model was built around it, which resulted in this:
The models were rendered in V-ray. The program is so great I’ll never go back to using mentalray. The next step is to build the actual case for including into the final year presentation in college