The first 3d printed of the CAD modeled coin display for the Roman coins I’ve collected over the years had a few issues with it. Firstly, the larger coins didn’t fit properly, the slot for the cover wasn’t tough enough and despite using glue and alcohol to help the print stick to the surface, I had an issue with warming. Modifications were made to the design, I added more variation to the slot sizes and split the main body into four parts. Once all parts were printed I simply superglued them all together after a bit of sanding. So far so good.
After many hours of sanding, the Manny character from Grim Fandango was painted. The photo shows up all the little flaws, in real life it looks good if I do say so myself. It was requested by my brother and given to him as a birthday present.
My mother asked me would I make a model of Two-face for the boy she looked after. He still has not seen the print and it is yet to be painted, but I’m happy with how it turned out. The sculpting tools in Blender are under appreciated, I even prefer them to Zbrush.
Lastly, having joined Upwork.com I have begun working with a client there. Hopefully, when I gain a positive reputation I can begin to run my own business. We’ll have to wait and see. The mouse design still have to be completed, the engineer aspects to it are tricky and a lot of detail is going into it. Really want to get it out of the way and move onto other project, such as video tutorials.
Earlier in the month I bought a 3d printer that is self assembled. After running into some trouble with the extruder and with the help of an engineer who has experience of assembling and customising his own 3d printer I was up and running. One of the first models I printed as a sculpted I made of Michael Schumacher.
For my brother, with his birthday coming up soon I modelled in Blender a 3d version of Manny from the point and click adventure Grim Fandango.
For Christmas, a chopping board I bought my Mother needed somewhere to be stored, so I designed and 3d printed a hook.
The next thing I printed was a stand for a pizza slicer.
Over Christmas I spent some time learning Rhino and the plugin for it T-Splines. I needed a CAD program that would allow me to create the surface, with Solidworks’ surfacing tools I wasn’t getting the desired shape and it was clumsy and time consuming to create. I was able to import the surfaces made in Rhino using T-Splines, but a friend of mine later told me about Fusion 360. I decided to give it a try and found it to be a fantastic piece of software. It’s got the best features of Rhino and Solidworks combined, without Solidworks’ rigidity. Next step is to complete the mouse design with a 3d printed display model, production ready CAD and CAM, beauty render, assembly drawings and graphics showing the uniquer features and how it work.